SmartSMS is a great way to avoid texting distractions while you drive, or staying off the grid and responding to messages at your leisure. If you slide the switch next to “SmartSMS” ON, HeyWire will hold any messages you receive and automatically respond to them with a message of your choice. Don’t worry—you’ll receive all missed messages as soon as you turn the switch OFF.
- Tap “Smart Driving” if you want HeyWire to automatically respond with “I’m currently driving and cannot text, I will reply shortly.”
- Tap “Smart Flying” if you want HeyWire to automatically respond with “I’m currently on a plane and cannot text, I’ll reply when I arrive.
Tap “Custom Message” and tap inside the white text box to write your own! Tap “Done” when you’re finished typing.
Your Message Inbox
To get to your Message Inbox, just tap the ‘Msgs’ button in the top left corner of HeyWire.
- The triangle in the top left corner of each message in your inbox indicates whether it contains a text, tweet, or a Facebook chat.
- A red dot indicates an unread message.
To Create & Send a New Message:
1. Tap the ‘pencil-paper icon’ located in the top right corner your Message Inbox screen.
2. You can send a message to up to 10 people at once. There are 3 ways to do this:
- Pick From Contact List: Tap the ‘+’ button and tap the contact(s) you want.
- Search: Tap next to the “To:” and begin typing the name of any desired contact to search your address book. Then, tap his/her name from the list when it appears.
- Manual: Tap next to the “To:” and begin typing the mobile number of each contact you want to send a message to. You can add them to your contacts later.
Note: To delete a contact, tap the contact name and then tap the backspace/delete button on your keyboard.
3. Tap in the text box (located right above your keyboard) and type your message.
4. Tap the ‘Send’ button.
To Cancel a Message:
Tap the ‘Cancel’ button in the top left corner, and you’ll return to the previous screen without sending any message.
To Delete Individual Messages in Your Inbox:
1. Tap on the thread you’d like to edit.
2. Tap the ‘Edit’ button in the upper right corner.
3. Tap the circle to the left of each message you want to delete—selecting the message will cause the circle to turn red with a check mark in it.
Note: You can also tap ‘Select All’ or ‘Select None.’
4. Tap ‘Delete’ to erase.
To Delete an Entire Thread:
1. Swiping your finger horizontally along the thread you want to delete.
2. A red ‘Delete’ button will appear.
3. Tap ‘Delete’.
…Or try this:
1. In your Message Inbox, tap the ‘Edit’ button in the top right corner.
2. Tap the red circle symbol to the left of the thread you want to delete.
3. Tap ‘Delete’ button that appears to erase the thread.
4. Tap ‘Done’ button in the top right corner.
Do you ever want to find a particular message in your inbox, but don’t want to scroll through every single thread to find it? No worries, that’s what the search box is for!
1. If the search box is not revealed, scroll to the top of your Message Inbox.
2. Tap in the white search box, and type in any word or phrase you want to find—your threads will filter automatically.
3. Tap on the thread(s) that result—your searched words will be highlighted in yellow within the text.
4. Tap the ‘Cancel’ button in the top right corner to return to your Message Inbox.
To See Earlier Messages in a Thread:
1. Tap the Message in your Inbox that you want to view.
2. After it opens scroll to the top of the thread.
Note: Tapping the time display at the top of your screen auto scrolls to the top of your page.
3. Touch the screen, drag your finger down, and hold until you see “Updating with Previous Messages.”
Quickly Call a Contact:
1. Tap the thread in your Message Inbox with the person you want to call.
2. Scroll to the top of the thread by tapping and dragging your finger down repeatedly, OR tapping the time display at the top of your screen.
3. Tap the “Call” button in the top left corner.
Tip: Tap the “Contact Info” button in the top right corner for information from your address book.
Note: You can only make calls from an iPhone.
To Zoom in on a Message Bubble:
1. Tap any message bubble within a thread to enlarge the font.
2. Tap again to return the bubble to its normal size.
Note: While in a thread shaking your phone will enlarge all message bubbles, tapping one will shrink them all to normal size.
1. Tap and hold your finger down on any message bubble within a thread until you see a menu pop up.
a. Tap ‘Copy’ to copy the message so you can paste it somewhere else.
b. Tap ‘Forward’ and a new message will be created with that exact text. Just select the contact(s) you want and tap “Send”. Done!
c. Tap ‘Delete’ to delete the message.
How can I share my HeyWire Number?
Tap the “Tell-A-Friend” icon on your HeyWire Menu.
Note: Any login steps only need to be done once.
- To use Twitter:
- Tap the “Twitter” button.
- Enter your Twitter Username and Password.
- Tap “Authorize App.”
- You’ll be directed to a pre-typed tweet— tap to edit it, if you’d like.
- Tap the “Tweet” button in the top right corner of the screen.
- To use text messaging:
- Tap the “HeyWire” button.
- You’ll be directed to a pre-typed message— tap to edit, if you’d like.
- Type the desired contact(s) after “To:”
- Tap the “Send” button.
- To use email:
- Tap the “Email” button.
- You’ll be directed to a pre-typed email— tap to edit it, if you’d like.
- Type the desired contact(s) in the “To:” box.
- Tap the “Send” button in top right corner of the screen.
- To use Facebook:
- Tap the “Facebook” button.
- Enter your Username and Password—Tap “Go.”
- Tap “Allow Publishing” to allow HeyWire to use Facebook.
- You’ll be directed to a pre-typed Wall Post—Feel free to place your cursor in the message box and edit it.
Tap “Publish” to post it on your wall.
How do I send a picture?
1. In your message thread, tap the camera icon.
2. Select between ‘Choose from existing’ OR ‘Take photo’.
a. ‘Choose from existing’ will allow you to select a picture from your device. Tap ‘Use’ to select your photo.
b. ‘Take photo’ will open your Camera app. Once you take your photo, you are given the option to ‘Retake’ or ‘Use’ the picture.
3. Once selecting your picture, you are allowed 140 characters of additional text, should you choose to add any.
4. Pressing ‘Send’ will send your picture.